The Studio Parisio, today Archivio Parisio – located in Piazza Plebiscito inside the arcade of San Francesco di Paola and in front of the Royal Palace – was the most important photographic studio in Naples in the interwar period and it still has the studio, some equipment and the space dedicated to the exhibitions.
The Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo e la Documentazione (ICCD) was founded in 1975 when all the production of two historical institutes flew into it: the National Photographic Cabinet (GFN), founded in 1895 by Giovanni Gargiolli, and the National Aerial Photo Library, founded in 1958. In recent years, the Institute’s interest has also turned to contemporary photography with the acquisition of archival copies of authorial photographic projects.
Photolux Magazine’s journey through Italian photographic archives starts from the Centro Studi e Archivio della Comunicazione in Parma, one of the first public institutions to deal competently with photography and today an efficient multifunctional space dedicated to culture and communication. It all began in the 1960s, thanks to Carlo Arturo Quintavalle and a trip to the United States.
“We must be grateful to Paul Fusco for his determination to put us in front of what was done to cause suffering to all victims of injustice and wars, universally and across borders”. In memory of the great American photographer, who died in July 2020, and his work: a powerful, tragic, authentic document.
We decided to try, with this editorial, to trace an original narrative inspired by a famous surrealist practice: a twine of words and images of different authors, that give us back a maybe unlikely, certainly unconventional and free, vision of a moment that will remain – and must remain – in our collective memory for a long time.