The Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo e la Documentazione (ICCD) was founded in 1975 when all the production of two historical institutes flew into it: the National Photographic Cabinet (GFN), founded in 1895 by Giovanni Gargiolli, and the National Aerial Photo Library, founded in 1958. In recent years, the Institute’s interest has also turned to contemporary photography with the acquisition of archival copies of authorial photographic projects.
Photolux Magazine’s journey through Italian photographic archives starts from the Centro Studi e Archivio della Comunicazione in Parma, one of the first public institutions to deal competently with photography and today an efficient multifunctional space dedicated to culture and communication. It all began in the 1960s, thanks to Carlo Arturo Quintavalle and a trip to the United States.
An “Archipelago” of photographers from all over Italy and the narration of the pandemic through images: different but connected works, an extraordinary documentation on display at Villa Bottini. We talk with the curator about the exhibition and the birth of a group with several projects for the future.
Places of ancient culture, frugal subsistence, deep-rooted traditions: the southern Apennines “is the Italy we used to have and which we risk losing forever”. In his slow and thoughtful photographic exploration, the author conveys in a book the calm and silent atmospheres of lands, villages and people that are at risk of disappearing.